How to use flax seeds in diet
Flax seeds also known as common flax or linseed is a member of genus Linum in the family of Linaceae. Flax seeds is widely used as a nutritional supplement in form of edible oil. It is also used as a ingredient in wood finishing product. In traditional Austrian medicine it was used in two forms, as internally directly soaked with tea and externally in form of oil extracts for treatment of respiratory tract infection, eye infection, cold, flu and gout.
Importance of Flax seeds
1. Flax seeds are abundant source of micro nutrients and omega 3- fatty acid which is very important for brain health as it prevents memory loss and depression.
2. Flax seeds are very rich in fibre content and hence they can be used as a good laxative to give relief from constipation.
3. Eating flax seeds daily stabilize blood sugar thus lowering the risk of diabetes.
4. Flax seeds are rich in lignans which are phytoestrogen that helps in fighting prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, breast cancer, osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseases.
5. Flax seeds can promote fertility and reduce pre-menopausal symptoms.
6. As it is rich source Omega 3 fatty acid it can protect body from various bacteria and viruses thus increasing overall immunity.
7. Flax seeds contain both soluble and insoluble fibre,it helps in reducing cholesterol levels.
8. Flax seeds are ideal food for vegetarian who doesn’t eat oily fish to get adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Hence Flax seeds are consider to be as “Super food” and canbe used in various ways in our meal to obtain its benefits. 100 gms of flax seeds contains about 450 calories, 41 gms of fat, 28 gms of fibre and 20 gms of protein.
Mix one tablespoon of ground flax seeds with one glass of water and drinking between meals to curb hunger. This therapy also helps to reduce cholesterol and blood sugar.
Add ground flax seeds to salads as source of fibre.
Add to bowl of oatmeal or cereal to improve health.
Mix with chapatti dough, soups.
Ground flax seeds lose their nutritive properties when exposed to sunlight hence should be avoided exposure to light and air.
Flax seeds can be sprinkled on fruits, vegetables, sprouts etc.
Heating also destroys its qualities hence should be used in cold food items for it best use.
Flax seed oil should be refrigerated and ground powder should be used within 2 hrs after grinding for it best use.
Precautions to be taken while using flax seeds in food
Some individuals may be allergic to flax seeds and hence it should be used in small quantity initially. Children and pregnant women should consult their doctors before using any form of flax seed as it may act like estrogen in body. Raw flax seeds should not be consumed as they might act poisonous. Hence consumption of any herbs should be taken care as they might interfere with other medicines and supplements and should be always taken after consulting your doctor.