Different key factors affect the health of the eye including infections, injury & trauma, age-related problems & other medical conditions. With few precautionary steps, many of these problems can be minimized, delayed or avoided.
Here is a list of hygiene tips for Eye Care:
• Protect your eyes from dirt and other irritating substances.
• Avoid or minimize the use of makeup. Don't share eye makeup accessories with anyone.
• Remove contact lenses in case of infection, if you wear contact-lens.
• Use of Non-prescription eye drops, relieves itching and burning from the irritating substances which causes pink-eye.
• Don't touch or rub the infected eyes.
• Wash your hands with soap and warm water before you clean your eyes.
• Wash away any discharge from your eyes several times in a day using fresh cotton
ball or Paper-towel. Discard the used piece of cotton ball or paper towel and clean your hands with soap and warm water.
• Wash your bed-sheets-- bed linens, pillowcases, and towels in hot water and detergent.
• Never wear another person's contact lenses.
• Wear eyeglasses instead of contact lenses. Throw away disposable-lenses or ensure
cleanliness of extended-wear lenses.
• Avoid sharing common articles, unwashed towels and glasses.
• Wash and sanitize your hands both before and after applying the eye drops or ointment to your eye or your child's eye
• Do not use eye drops that were used for drug administration to an infected eye of patient in a non-infected eye.
• If your child has bacterial or viral pink-eye, provide medical attention and care to the child.